Sunday, February 12, 2006

Lots to tell you :)

Hello everyone!!!!!

Well, if you haven't heard from me lately its because I have been extremely busy here in sunny San Diego but loving it all the same. Work is good and the weather is unbelievable. I am truly blessed to be here at this point in time.

Most of you are aware that my little brother, or as he liked to say "big" brother (did the tall genes just skip me?!), Clark was killed this past June, unselfishly saving the life of another. I have had an extremely hard time getting through this, especially being so far away from my parents. I decided to do something productive with my grief and help to save the lives of others too, in honor of Clark.

I joined an orginization by the name of Team in Training. We are training as a group for the Jamba Juice Wildflower Triathlon in San Antonio, CA May 7, 2006! It is an Olympic distance tri which includes a 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike and a 7 mile run. I am sore to say the least and my body is hating me at the moment, but those who have to endure chemo have a hard time just doing day to day activities.

Team in Training, which raises money to fund cancer research, supports triathlons, century rides and marathons along with fundraising efforts to challenge an individual in every aspect: mentally, physially, emotionally and as I am finding financially (3 sports can get expensive). I am blessed to have the energy and aptitude to train for this cause, pushing myself past my comfort zone in life, striving to do something bigger than myself.

Cancer has become such a dominating factor in today's medical world, and a bit of a prevelant occurance in those who mean so much to me. I am training for all of those people: Aunt Cathy, Grandma Claire, Papa Ed, Josh Bieirman, KJ's mom, Taichi (our team's child in remission), Michelle (our team's honored teammate) and everyone else who had encountered any form of the disease. But as you all know, it can be overcome with strength, love and the help of doctors and scientists who give their life's work to save the lives of others.

My goal for this season's Wildflower Triathlon is to raise $2700 for cancer research and do my part to help save others. I think Clark would be proud of this and hope you all are too. If you know of anyone who would like to donate to this amazing cause and help me to successfully get to Wildflower in honor of these people, please go to https://www.active.com/donate/tntsdh/tntkbrunner and donate. Every little bit, no matter how small, helps. A lot of corporations do donation matching for these causes, maybe Target or Yahoo or Verizon? If so, and they do donate $500 or more, I can put their name on my training and competition jerseys in thanks, so everyone is aware that they made a generous donation in the fight for saving those affected by cancer! I will also be able to post their names on my website so that everyone who visits my sites will be able to see the generosity as well. Also, please keep in mind that THIS IS A TAX WRITE-OFF!! The site automatically sets your donation up in the manner necessary to get the tax credit. If you do not want to use the internet to donate, you can send me a check made out to Team in Training.

Please know that any donations made are very much appreciated and not in any way expected from any of you. I just wanted you to all know what I am up to and the small positve effect I am trying to have on this huge world. If you cannot give financially, I will take all the prayers and well wishes you can muster. Hopefully you will all know someone who can help and will feel comfortable in passing this along to them. Thank you for listening. I am blessed to have the people I have in my life.

katie

No comments:

Search This Blog