Monday, July 28, 2008

you're training for what?! when?! you're crazy


i've alluded to the fact that i might be/am training for something big, although i don't think i have quite come out and actually written it down, but here goes...I AM TRAINING FOR MY FIRST HALF IRONMAN - Longhorn Half Ironman, October 5, 2008 - that's right...in roughly 2 months. this is basically how it all went down...

CB: Hey, I am working on a 6 week plan for you to start with, july 28. Do you have any conflicts or commitments in that time that I should know about?

kb: no, i'm good. i do have one question and you can tell me i'm crazy...but do you think it would be possible to get ready for a half iron man starting now and racing on October 5th of this year? that's less than 3 months and my fitness is pretty poor compared to what i am used to...i just got a crazy idea and now i need for someone to tell me how crazy i am. :)

CB: We can do that.

kb: well yes i know we can...but is this a smart thing to attempt seeing as how my longest ride to date this season is 20 miles, i haven't been able to run bc of the IT and my swim has fallen to the way side? i mean is this a logical thing for me to do or should i just stick to the original 09 plan?oy, i may be verifiabley crazy...

CB: If you really think you can handle 3 hours per week swimming, 5 hours biking and 3 or 4 running, we can do it and you will finish with a smile. If you cannot honestly do that, let's take this year to intelligently build a foundation to build on for next years big plans and that IM in 2010. Your call crazy lady.


kb: let's do it :)


CB:Here we go...


and thus the training began. the official start date was July 14 and i have been religious about my training program and sessions. Coach Brian has been unbelievable generous in his time, advice and knowledge. i wouldn't have even fathomed this 3 months ago. i wouldn't have even been able to start this 1 month ago. i most definitely wouldn't have even thought this whole crazy plan could come to fruition before this weekend - but it has and it is miraculously still headed in the forward movement plane of this nutso world we live in.

the training plan: follow CB's training schedule to a tee. if a DIRE emergency presents itself, it is okay to SWITCH the days of sessions, but by no means is there any excuse for blowing off a workout and i have stuck to it. i figure if he is going to take the time to coach me, i must take the time to be coached. i mean people pay inordinate sums of money for plans, advice and mentorship like this. it's my job to reap the benefits of this generosity put forth in front of me and take full advantage of all that i can before he gets too wise to the fact that he's a great coach and he most definitely should be charging me for all of the shit he puts up with. poor thing didn't know what he was getting himself into...


the nutrition plan (1) - daily intake: now that i am expending large amounts of energy each and everyday, my caloric intake must increase...exponentially. this is hard for me as in the past i have had "issues" with food and how it affects me mentally. i have take HUGE steps to eradicate the negative thoughts that surround these "issues" and am very proud and happy to report that even though those thoughts will most likely always be camping out on the outsets of my psyche, i have learned to overcome them and push them so far out to the peripheral that i hardly ever notice them anymore. finding out that i have celiac disease and am sensitive to a variety of different foods as my body continues to heal itself from the damage of the disease has also been HUGE. all of this has lent me the will and ability to start to increase where i need to energy/calorie wise and to be able to perform like CB needs me to in order to accomplish the goals set forth by the powers that be. i can say, without reserve, that i am frikken starving. ALL. THE. TIME. i can't eat enough. but i've been extremely cognizant of this, and luckily, have been able to space out my meals to eat just enough to satisfy me until the next snack or meal time. its been interesting, to say the least, incorporating all of the lessons and advice i give my nutrition clients over and over again to my daily routine...

the nutrition plan (2) - training intake: this particular aspect is in great need of revision. let's recap very quickly: 1st tri - Wildflower 2006 - 100+ degree weather, the gnarliest hills around and only one scoop of Ultima + 3 individual shot blocks to get me through the entire race - horrible. that's less than 200 calories to get me through a 3.5 hour rendezvous with the asphalt and trails. 3rd tri - Pac Grove 2006 - 58 degree swim, followed by nothing extraordinary and one scoop of Accelerade + 6 individual shot blocks to get me through the race - better. i still have miles to climb in this arena of the triad, but i am experimenting and trying to up my calories while actually expending them. CB says 300-350 calories per hour while participating in long training days or actual events. i can be honest with myself and admit i am nowhere near this number. this may be one of my biggest challenges besides the race itself. so far i have included Accelgels to the repertoire and am looking into "yammies" for long rides. this weekend's "gut check" was due in large part to this training intake deficit...

the mental plan: "pain is temporary, pride is forever" became my mantra for the marathon and has effortlessly transitioned into my mantra for the half. "here we go" and "let's do this" are right along side for the ride. 3RO - realize, rationalize, recitify - OVERCOME...

...stay tuned for the "gut check" post - it's coming kids :)

1 comment:

rocketpants said...

I do hope there will be an update on how the weekend went too! I know in some tri magazines there has been some stuff on top athletes with gluten/celiac. Make sure nothing is lurking in those gels...gluten is so pervasive! (i'm sure you are super at this, i've just lived through many other people's gluten intolerance discoveries so I'm amazed at how far reaching it is.)

Search This Blog