Tuesday, March 17, 2009

setbacks and stillness


woke up on Sunday still feeling like i had had a nice run in with the brick wall from Saturday but i had promised danban we'd do breakfast and catch up - i was really looking forward to it so i got up and moving around 7 to meet her just before 9 at Naked. a good meal and some great quality catch up time later i was on my way to meet BG at the Shores so i could pick something up from him. it was a stupid thing to pick up too - my left overs from the day before because i'm really trying to watch how i spend (and waste) my money with the economy like it is - so i met him, got my stuff and left.

as i'm driving down Vallecitos to get back to the 5, a car comes at me going about 35 mph down a very narrow street lined with parked cars. the dude nearly side swipes me, pushing me over to the right where my mirror just happens to be the exact same height and placement as a parked Volvo sitting nice and quietly and WHAM! it all happened so quickly. there were two cars behind the car that almost creamed me - not one of them stopped. there was a car behind me - he didn't stop. no one stopped, no one but me. shaking and on the verge of tears. completely flabbergasted at the thought that someone had just forced me over so far on the road that i ended up hitting the mirror of another car AND NO ONE STOPPED. let's recap the life of my car as i know it:
1) early Nov 07 - bought the car.
2) late Nov of 07 - had to replace all 4 tires plus two wheels because i ran over something in the dark...probably a 2X4 or something silly like that - who knows, it was dark.
3) Feb of 08 - passenger side window was smashed in and my purse was stolen during an 8 mile training run for the marathon.
4) Jan 1, 09 - first hit and run but because the smelly Ohian was still passed out drunk in her car, i was able to corner her and get her to ante up her insurance info (just a couple of door dings).
5) Jan 16, 09 - second hit and run in the Whole Foods parking lot and i wasn't so lucky this time. no note, no car, no nothing (had to basically replace the entire back rear of the passenger side of my car).
6) Feb 16, 09 - third hit and run while my car was parked outside my apartment building. again, not note, no car, no nothing. (had to replace the front end of my car including the hood because who ever did it, actually hit me so hard while they were trying to park, that they forced themselves up on it). later, i find out who did it but because there were no eye witnesses and i cannot afford a stupid lawyer OR the court fees associated with it all, he gets away with it all.
7) March 14, 09 - i nearly get side swiped and the above ensues...

i seriously thought about leaving - i mean not one time did anyone have any regard at all for me or my car when they decided to put there mark on my life. and i just stood there in the middle of the road and screamed unsightly things in my head and cried. finally, after about a minute of trying to decide how good a person i really am (this is yet to be determined) - i walked over to where i had pulled my car over, got out my cell phone and called my insurance company to start the claim for the poor car that ended up getting the brunt end of the fiasco. i ended up having to take responsibility for the accident since the guy who almost hit me didn't stop. i didn't stop shaking the entire hour i stood there waiting for the owner to come back so i could apologize and let them know i had already taken care of everything and all they needed to do was call. no one ever came so i left all the information they'd need.

so i'd say i had a bit of a personal setback. its not all sunshine and roses. i am in the midst of being really ticked off and feeling really sorry for myself - neither of which are good. now i'm sort of praying for some stillness...

2 comments:

rocketpants said...

I'm praying for some stillness for you too...that is a good thing to ask for...stillness and peace. I'm sorry things are so rotten right now.

Unknown said...

You will find stillness...in some ways you have already. You didn't have a setback, you had a breakthrough. You found out who you are...when nobody is looking, will you do the right thing? Yes. It wasn't an issue of nobody did it for you, somebody owed you a break...you knew what was right and you did it. Life is a series of choices...the choices you make determine who you are, and who you are determines the choices you make. You were given another opportunity in life to make a choice...and you did.

Search This Blog